What I really wanted was an uncomplicated way to lose weight and get in better shape, without having to go to a gym or hire a personal trainer. So I joined a running club (I’m there without fail to run two miles on the first Saturday of every month!) and subscribed to a popular running magazine. So now its official; I am a Runner. Please note the capital “R”. And I swear I don’t understand half of what my fellow runners are talking about! Take these abbreviations, for example:
- PR/PB: Personal record and personal best – pretty straight forward. I get this.
- LSD: Not the drug, but Long, Slow Distance runs.
- Master: Runners over 40 – hey, that’s me! The first time I’ve ever been master at anything. I love running!
- Pick-ups: Not the attempt to pick up someone of the opposite sex, but accelerations done during a run; and they are of shorter durations than Fartleks(?!); and,
- Fartlek: Not a typo, I did not mean Fartlets (although at my age, sometimes when I run I have those too), but Fartleks; which is variable pace running – a mixture of slow and moderate running, with short, fast bursts.
No LSD, Pick-ups or Fartleks for me, because I am Master!