June 20, 2011

The Favorite Book Challenge Blogfest!

I am taking part in a blogfest in which you must pick five of your favorite books, write one line about what each book is about and then write one line about why you liked the book. Semi-colons are cheating, but you can use them anyway (I didn't use any but probably should have, lol!).  Then, go to other participants blogs (find the list at A Writer's Journey) to discuss the books. 
The Favorite Book Challenge Blogfest is being hosted by Teralyn Rose Pilgrim at A Writer's Journey, so please be sure to go by her blog to find the links to the other entries. I'm sure you'll find some pretty interesting books to read!
Since I read so many books, I chose books that I have read more than once. My entries are a mixture of some old and some new favorites. Without further ado, here they are!

Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert
The “chick flick” of books where inextricably unhappy Liz divorces her husband and gives up everything in order to go on a spiritual journey to find herself, and ends up meeting a cast of unforgettable characters who help her along the way. I love this book because it sends the message to women that they don’t have to settle and do what is traditionally expected of them.

Living, Loving, & Learning by Leo F. Buscaglia, Ph.D
Possibly the only professor in the world who was kooky enough to teach a class called Love 1A, Leo entertains us through stories of learning to love while growing up in a traditional Italian family. From reading Leo’s lectures, I get a strong sense of what type of person he was and it inspires me to try harder to be a kinder person.   



The Power of Positive Thinking, by Norman Vincent Peale
Dr. Norman Vincent Peale introduced a new way of thinking to the world when he wrote this book about finding happiness, self-confidence and how to achieve your goals through the power of positive thoughts. This is my go-to book when I need a reminder of how much my own happiness is directly up to me.


A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
The ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Yet-To-Come teach Ebeneezer Scrooge how to love his fellow man through a series of nightly hauntings in which they show him where things went wrong in his life and remind him that there are more important things outside his counting-house. Scrooge’s transformation never fails to give me a warm, fuzzy feeling every Christmas when I read this book.

The Shack, by Wm. Paul Young
Mack Philips receives a note from God (who appears in the guise of a black woman called Papa, who cooks, no less) with an invitation for him to meet her at The Shack where his daughter died, in order to help him understand the horror of her death. I liked this book because it shows that God can be whoever we perceive him/her to be, and it explains some of the questions we have about why things like death happen.  

No comments: